repalcing a stopcock

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi guys - instead of having a stopcock for the mains water...we have a in line isolating valve...is that ok ?...i thought not, so i bought a peglar 15mm stopcockfrom screwfix, anyway got ready with all the tools, went to turn the water off from the street service valve and found its full of sand due to the council recently putting new slabs in our street....complained to the council who said theyll look into it...anyway, there doesnt seem to much give in the pipe with the isolating valve in it and i can unscrew the nuts either side but cant take it out..?...i was thinking of loosening the nuts either side and cutting just above the olives with a junior hacksaw..what you guys think..?

Sponsored Links
m afraid i opened the peglar stopcock out the packaging so screwfix wont take it back...im gonna wait till the council or who ever laid the slabs to come and clear the sand out, after all why should i do, i cant reach the bootom anyway..i pay my taxes so they should sort it....sorry camera broke cant take a pic....i

Sponsored Links
Make sure the council empty the sand from the mains cock that it operates correctly. If not make them pay the water board to replace the stopcock as it is an 'emergency' control.
You'll end up with a nice stopcock in the road this way.

Ok guys..thought id replace the stopcock today...council came and cleared the sand from the street service stopcock...anyway got a full bore 15mm lever valve from screfix like somebody suggested....turned off the water from the street outside...started removing the in line valve...bloody hell mains was still on even turning it off completely...looks like the street stopcock is faulty...doesnt turn the watet off even when fully closed...looks like its faulty as there is watet in the street stopvock chamber...who is responsible...?..severn trent or the council...

Or rather than turning off the stopcock you've opened a drain valve!

There is not always but maybe 2 valves in the whole one a stopcock and one for draining the supply pipe have another look

...started removing the in line valve...bloody hell mains was still on even turning it off completely...
You mean you didn't open the tap(s) fed from the mains to empty/depressurise the pipes?
yes i did open the taps to depressrise the pipes...water was still coming in from the mains which only has 1 stop cock in the street....i fully turned it off as fas as i could turn it, yet water was still flowing in my house, i even checked my neighboours taps which had water still flowing...definately a problem with the street stopcock....anyway i rang severn trent, they are gonna send someone on monday to have a look at it...i remeber a few years ago that i needed to turn the water off from the mains and i did exacltly what i have said at the street stopcock which turned the water off..doest turn the water off now though, definately faulty..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back