main stopcock

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a small drip coming from the gland nut in my main stopcock, i was going to put some ptfe tape round it, is it necessary to turn the water off in the street before loosening the gland nut ?
thanks

Sponsored Links
Yes.
But you may manage by just tightening the gland nut a bit. Try this befor removing. Remember to hold the tap body firmly if anything is a bit stiff.
Overhaul the washers whlst doing it. if removing.

I have a small drip coming from the gland nut in my main stopcock, i was going to put some ptfe tape round it, is it necessary to turn the water off in the street before loosening the gland nut ?
thanks

It's not necessary to turn it off in the street. You should however close the stopcock and open the kitchen cold tap to let the pressure off. Bear in mind that the packing material should go under the nut, not round the threads.

thanks

It's not necessary to turn it off in the street. You should however close the stopcock and open the kitchen cold tap to let the pressure off. Bear in mind that the packing material should go under the nut, not round the threads.

bit of a split decision here , one saya i should turn water off in street and one sais i don't need to, which is best ? so the ptfe tape goes under the gland nut ??
thanks

Sponsored Links
You do not HAVE to close the street tap, but as the stop cock in your property is your "last line of defence" if anything goes wrong, it is obviously a simple precaution, as you could be faced with an uninteruptable flood if you damage your tap or undo the "wrong" nut!
If the stop cock you are working on is not very accessible, it is also easier.
The gland nut unscrews and the packing can be made with wool and petroleum jelly. The area to pack is self evident when you clean it up.

You do not HAVE to close the street tap, but as the stop cock in your property is your "last line of defence" if anything goes wrong, it is obviously a simple precaution, as you could be faced with an uninteruptable flood if you damage your tap or undo the "wrong" nut!
If the stop cock you are working on is not very accessible, it is also easier.
The gland nut unscrews and the packing can be made with wool and petroleum jelly. The area to pack is self evident when you clean it up.

Thanks mate i will give it a go
cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back