Stopcock leaking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I know this problem has been posted a few times but could someone give me a bit more info.
Stopcock under the sink is now leaking, occaisional drip with stopcock off, constant drip when 'on'. The drip is coming from the gland nut/shaft area. Tightening the gland nut has stopped the drip when 'off', but not when 'on'.

Is it safe to completely unscrew gland nut?
What do I use to pack behind gland nut - Plumbers Mait or what?
Does area behind gland nut require cleaning prior to packing?
What is the cause of this type of leak? - is there a seal in there that is worn?

Thanks in advance.

Steveo

Sponsored Links
it is quite safe to completely unscrew the packing gland you will only get a steady drip, use PTFE tape to seal, roll the tape into string then wrap a few turns round the stopcock stem and push it into the joint then refit the packing nut and tighten up enough to stop the leak but loose enough to turn the handle,

get some graphite string as this is far better the ptfe tape and then do as kirkgas has suggested ;)

Kirk/Gas
Thanks for the replies. Backed of gland nut this evening, wrapped some ptfe tape, tightened up nut and opened stopcock and Hey Presto - no leak!

Thanks again for the replies.

Steveo

Sponsored Links
Check it again in a day and then in a week!

Stopcocks should be closed once every month or two to stop them getting jammed up.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back