stopcocks and water meters driving me mad

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, hope you can help. (i'm sure someone out there can)

I've got a 1950's house with concrete floor d/stairs.(joy!!!) My rising main (15mm I think which strikes me as a touch small, but who am I to argue?) comes out of the floor and up a riser in the kitchen. There is a brass stopcock, then a water meter and then another brass stopcock before the pipe disappears upstais and underneath the floorboards and distributes to the whole street judging by the water bills (just kidding).

anyway, before I become too boring, both these stopcocks are leaking from between the top nut (gland nut???) and the tap shaft and ruining my nice new kitchen.

can anyone offer advice on:-

should I use ptfe tape as packing to re-seal?

should I replace the stopcocks completely?

if I do replace them, would it be acceptable to replace them with 15mm full bore ball valves with the lever attachments as these would seem to offer a quicker means of turning the water on and off. (access to them is via a hole in the back of a new kitchen unit and is limited thus making it awkward to turn the taps)

cheers all

Sponsored Links
Just repack them with PTFE, if you do replace them use proper 15mm stoptaps.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back