Stopcock Overkill?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

In 1971 my detached house was split into up/downstairs for a period. Not now, and new system in place, zoned by floor, new hot water tank, rads ect.

We still have:

1 The main cold 15mm stopcock, which is near the kitchen
2 Another 15mm stopcock fitting used to isolate upstairs
3 Another 15mm stopcock fitting used to isolate the external tap
4 Another 15mm stopcock fitting used to isolate hot water going upstairs
5 Another 15mm stopcock fitting used to isolate feeder tank in attic
6 Another 15mm stopcock fitting used to isolate hot water when it gets to kitchen (Now removed by BG - they could not work out why it was there as with item 7, was redundant)
7 New 22mm red/blue lever fittings at different points in the airing cupboard by the hot water tank to isolate hot out/ and water in-out from boiler to coil
8 Boiler room itself has new heavier duty 22mm fittings on all parts to isolate all items to allow easy replacement
9 Another 15mm stopcock fitting used to isolate cold water (but is 5m further on from main one)
10 There is of course the normal 15/22mm isolators across the board by taps/bathroom fittings/appliances/shower pumps.

Now I am guessing someone had a deal on stopcocks :) Items 2,3,4,6,9 all seem redundant to me. 6 is gone now. I am wanting to reclaim space and 2,3,4,6 are all in the same area. Any issues replacing them with standard isolator valves (or full bore ones)? I have no issue anywhere with low water pressure I would just remove the fittings entirely put that seems harder to me than swapping fittings to a more streamline type.

Sponsored Links
No issues replacing them, in some cases I would not even bother using a service valve, just couple straight up.
I would expect them at the kitchen sink, external tap, the basin in bathroom and toilet though. Service valves not stop taps that is.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back