15mm or 22mm Stopcock/Surestop valves?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We’ll shortly be replacing the kitchen, which will involve moving the washing machine into the same corner as the incoming mains cold water. This will mean that the washing machine would have to be pulled out to gain access to the stopcock, not ideal if we ever have an emergency. It’s not practical to move the stopcock, so I was thinking of fitting one of those Surestop valves as at http://www.surestop.co.uk/index.asp with the remote switch above the worktop. As most of the plumbing is also to be replaced, I also want to replace the brass screwdown stopcock at the same time because the handle is broken, so we’ll have a brand new stopcock followed by the Surestop valve. Although the job in itself is fairly straightforward after turning off the water from the stopcock in the pavement (this does work!), I’ve been a bit concerned about reports I’ve read about the Surestop valves causing a slight flow restriction (12% loss in pressure?) and I also understand that flow through a traditional stopcock causes a slight flow restriction. So I was wondering if it would be worth increasing the size of the rising main from 15mm to 22mm for the short section where the valves are to be installed? So we’d have a 15mm to 22mm straight coupler, followed by a 22mm stopcock, then a 22mm Surestop valve, then continuing in 22mm as far as the first tee where the pipework will be reduced back to 15mm. Cost is no object as the difference in running a short length of pipework in 22mm instead of 15mm and fitting larger 22mm valves will be nominal. This approx 1 metre length of pipework will be replaced regardless as to whether I run it in 15mm or 22mm, so if using 22mm valves would cause less overall flow restriction then if I used 15mm valves, then I’d rather do that.

Any thoughts/advice?

Tim

Sponsored Links
Looks quite a good idea as long as the mains pressure is good in your area.

How will it stand up to the test of time??

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back