Seized shut internal stopcock (on imperial pipe supplying outside tap)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As the weather is no longer so cold I wanted to turn on the outside tap again which I had isolated in November by turning off its internal stopcock.
That stopcock is stuck shut. It sits in the a (former)c fitted with compression fittings on an old copper pipe which I believe is of half-inch imperial size.

Couple of questions:
1. Any tips on freeing it up? (WD40 and gentle tapping I tried already, though will give another go tonight)
2. Could I just replace the insert of the stopcock on the imperial copper pipe with an insert for a 15mm stopcock, or won't that fit?
3. Recently we got a combi boiler conversion done. The fitters soldered just next to the tee supplying this stopcock. Could the heat have caused it to get stuck? (Wish I had checked before they came!)

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
If you can isolate the supply to it then just replace it the old 1/2" for a new 15mm stop tap. The old 1/2" and new 15mm pipe sizes are comparable and are interchangeable albeit the new olive might be a bit tight going on. It's the old 3/4" and new 22mm that isn't and needs converted.

Thanks. Access and wiggle room around the stopcock is very limited. There is perhaps only 1cm of pipe either side of the stopcock, one side having the tee (continuing to the combi boiler), the other one a 90 degree elbow and the pipe going through the wall.

So I am not too confident that I will get a new one in without disconnecting the feed to the new boiler, which I really don't want to touch myself...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back