Repeated Crack

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

BsCP4Ju.jpg

the above crack is above a window next to our front door, it runs directly adjacent to the top corner of the door, I have sanded it down and filled it several times but it always comes back within a few weeks, How do I fix it permenantly?

thanks
Chris

Sponsored Links
I'd open it up slightly using a chisel (in terms of both depth and width). Ideally the gap will be about 2mm either side of the crack and about 4mm deep, or deeper.

I would then used a caulking gun to squeeze in some Toupret Fibacyl and level it off with a filler knife and damp sponge.

Fibacryl is a caulk with added fibres. It cannot be sanded (hence the use of a sponge/rag to remove any traces from the painted surface. It will shrink back. The curing time and degree of shrinkage depends on the size of the crack. Once it has cured I fill over it with Toupret Redlite or Red Devil OneTime. Once that has hardened you can sand and paint.

When working on solid walls where the skim coat has blown very slightly at the crack, I normally brush some dilute PVA in first (in the hope of it filling the slight void and effectively gluing the skim coat to the base plaster. Blown plaster will sound hollow when you tap it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back