Replace Aurora Down lights in Lounge

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

So I have got some Aurora AU-FRLD811/40 m10 LED (dimmable down lighters in my lounge),
however they really are too bright. I can't remember if the are cool white or something else.

I currently have 6 of them in my ceiling, so I am not sure what options I realistically have apart from get some sun glasses !

My bedroom is directly above the lounge and it would involve a bit of a job to remove the bed/carpet/wooden floor boards to get to the down lighters from above.

This is them here: http://help.tradingdepot.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/aurora-sola-m10-brochure.pdf

Cheers
Paul

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I currently have 6 of them in my ceiling, so I am not sure what options I realistically have apart from get some sun glasses !
Have you considered removing (or disconnecting) some of them? Disconnecting them would probably be possible 'from below'. Alternatively, you could just remove the bulbs/lamps from some of them (and maybe replace them with 'dead' ones for appearance!).

There is at least one person in this forum who might be surprised that you're complaining about getting too much light/illumination from downlights!

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
I have they are at the lowest setting, I guess it's just a personal thing I have sensitive eyes they tend to be to glary for my liking.
Do you know what dimmer it is? I suspect if it’s not dim enough for you, the dimmer is not set up correctly.

When I set up an Aurora dimmer with Aurora fittings, the lowest I get it set is about as bright as a candle, so it can be done.

Do you know what dimmer it is? I suspect if it’s not dim enough for you, the dimmer is not set up correctly.

When I set up an Aurora dimmer with Aurora fittings, the lowest I get it set is about as bright as a candle, so it can be done.

Yes it is one of these: https://www.mkelectric.com/en-my/Pr...switches/tungstenfilament/Pages/K1511WHI.aspx

Which one would you recommend?

On another note, my brother has fitted some Philips Hue Lights into his house, they do seem a bit gimmicky but been able to control the lights from your mobile is pretty cool. Would it be easy to replace them with these? https://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-Personal-Wireless-Lighting-Recessed/dp/B00TTQ3DFK

Cheers
Paul

Last edited:
Which one would you recommend?
We use these about 50% of the time (depends which wholesaler we're buying from). There's a little potentiometer on the side that lets you adjust the dim level - set the dimmer all the way down and then slowly adjust the screw to your desired brightness - job done.

You can even keep your existing MK plate and just swap the module over.

As for Philips Hue, I've got some and do like them, but you're a) talking £240 just to replace the fittings, plus a hub and a dimmer or tap dimmer to control them. Easy £300 total, if not £350. And b) the cutout is 125mm, yours is gonna be somewhere in the 70-80mm range, which is going to mean some more cutting out of the ceiling - this could be problematic if one of your existing holes is close to a joist.

Looking at your initial post, the lamps are part of the fitting and not removable.
The code 40 means they are 4000k cool white., code 30 version is 3000k warm white
Contact aurora for a suitable dimmer

I've got 5x Enlite downlights (from Aurora) and using an Varlight vPro dimmer they go down to virtually nothing.

You can get one for £15 - you want a trailing edge one. I'd swap the dimmer first.

Simple solution for you
AAPEN.JPG

and a bag of plaster!

Happy New Year

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back