Replace Honeywell CM907 with CM927

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I currently have a Honeywell CM907 room thermostat and wish to replace it with a wireless Honeywell CM927 thermostat. To keep live simple, I am planning on placing the wireless receiver for the new thermostat where the existing CM907 is fixed, in order to reuse the existing wiring. Before I start though, I need some advice on the existing wiring.

Currently the CM907 has a live and switched live supply attached to A and B on thermostat back plate. The wire colours are brown and black.

IMG_20171112_101806858.jpg

At the boiler end (iSar HE35), the live and switched live go into terminals L1 and L2 (furthest left two cables on connector block). The wire colours are grey and black.

IMG_20171112_102101439.jpg

The first piece of advice I need is why the wire colours on the live and switched live supply change between the boiler terminals and the room thermostat? Can I just assume that they change at some junction that I cannot see in the wall?

Secondly, the CM927 needs a neutral supply along with the live and switched live. Looking at the wiring at the existing room thermostat, there is an used earth and unused grey cable. How can I test that this grey cable is a neutral?

Ultimately I want to do this work myself, but if I am not confident then rest assured that I will get a professional in. Many thanks.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
The Honeywell CM927 usually comes with a switching relay box usually a BDR91 with wiring connections like this. (Post back if you have a different relay box)

upload_2017-11-13_10-6-53.png

From your boiler manual, the connections are like this:

Capture.JPG

When using a three core cable, they can be connected together as below, with a link added between the BDR91 L and A.

BOILER TERMINALS
dia.JPG

BDR91 RELAY BOX

The 'mains in' N & L supply may be connected first to the BDR91 and then to the boiler (as shown) or connected to the boiler first and then to the BDR91.
The first piece of advice I need is why the wire colours on the live and switched live supply change between the boiler terminals and the room thermostat? Can I just assume that they change at some junction that I cannot see in the wall?
It's likely, but never assume. (I once found a thermostat that had a Neutral connection from an adjacent wall light. Whilst wrong on several levels it had been working OK for years before it caused problems.) Normally, the cables are run directly from the boiler to the thermostat, however, it may be that your system has been altered or moved at some point and the cables extended and a junction box inserted somewhere. Unfortunately I can't advise on this only a physical inspection / tracing of the wires and an electrical test of them would confirm this or otherwise.

Secondly, the CM927 needs a neutral supply along with the live and switched live. Looking at the wiring at the existing room thermostat, there is an used earth and unused grey cable. How can I test that this grey cable is a neutral?
An electrical test with a multimeter to determine its potential (Voltage) between a known live and a known neutral. But only do this if you know how to use a multimeter and can do this competently and safely.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back