Replace magnetic ballast with electronic

ih

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi i need to replace magnetic ballast with electronic (currently have linked under cabinet lights)
1. Is it ok to replace them as required or will i have to replace all 6 @ the same time (individually switched)
2.will i need to upgrade internal wiring to high temperature pvc? Current 8w/18/30 magnetic ballast.
3.Being novice if there is wiring diagram to show old magnetic wiring to new electromagnetic will be very
much appreciated. I know the electronic will have manufacture diagram but for novice can be confusing.(single lamp0
4.Are tridonic mid range ok for replacement
Thanking all in advance

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Why do you want to do this? The traditional magnetic type are much more reliable. They may use slightly more electricity but you will never get your money back especially as you will probably have to replace the new ones as they fail after a few years.

But:
1. Can be replaced individually
2. No, electronic run cooler than magnetic because of the lower losses.
3. Probably best to use manufacturers diagram. Come back with a photo if confused.
4. Don't know.

The traditional magnetic type are much more reliable. They may use slightly more electricity but you will never get your money back especially as you will probably have to replace the new ones as they fail after a few years.
What Winston said. Financially, you wll gain absolutely nothing by such replacement. And the electronic ballasts - especially the cheap ones - are prone to causing radio interference problems.

• Thanks
Reactions: ih
Winston1 thank you very much for your advise.Need to replace one but possibly will look for
One magnetic one and do the needful.

Sponsored Links
I have an electronic ballast as a add on with my 18W lamp top of the stairs. To fit it I needed to install and adaptable box as the electronic unit with batteries was too large to fit in the fitting. It has been there now for some 25 years and the tube has only required changing once and the batteries now need changing so quite long lived, it does fire up faster than a wire wound ballast and it does give out more light. However the sole reason for fitting was to enable the use of a battery back up during a power cut not for any of the other gains associated with a HF fitting.

As to 8W the only ones I have seen again are to run lamps from 12 volt DC and they have been rather poor quality, nothing like the normal HF ballast quality. So can't really comment on how good the 230 volt versions are other than as part of a emergency lamp the latter tends to be built into the lamp.

As 30W then there are loads on the market and well worth the change.

• Thanks
i need to replace magnetic ballast with electronic
Why, what would be the point, the fittings are not designed to be messed with in that way, they are as you know a switch start fitting, chopping it about would likely result in an unsafe fitting, fittings are CE aproved for a reason, partly to show there assembled in a safe manner.
If the units still faulty, even with a new starter and lamp then last resort is to replace the magnetic choke, with a new magnetic choke.
2.will i need to upgrade internal wiring to high temperature pvc?
You would need solid drawn wire between 0.5mm and 1mm too wire in the electronic ballast, ideally the cable used is desighned for light manufacture and is only made in 120degree insulation, irespective of the heat in the fitting, that is whats used and it will cost you, the existing wires will be too short, and removing the old wires will likely break the fitting, totally beyond repair.
3.Being novice if there is wiring diagram to show old magnetic wiring to new electromagnetic
No such thing as electromagnetic, an electronic ballast dont need a drawing.
Theres Live in, Neutral in, two wires to one lampholder, two wires to other lampholder
4.Are tridonic mid range ok for replacement.
Tridonic mid range, not sure what you mean.

Finding electronic ballasts to fit and the hassle involved fitting them, is not worth the hassle and no disrespect but its likely your first hurdle, would be simply getting access into the fitting.
why are you reluctant, to just leave be and relamp what you have.

• Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back