Replace the shower pump or the whole hot water system ...?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My shower pump has suddenly stopped working. It will sometimes stutter into life if I give it a gentle tap, but I reckon it is now about 5 years old (was here when we moved into the house) so it's probably time to replace it.

I noticed the pipework feeding it is only 15mm, and apparently most of the better quality pumps stipulate 22mm. This means I have to either buy the same model (a noisy Newteam) so that it is compatible with the existing pipework (not very happy with doing that) or have all the pipework changed to 22mm and get a better quality pump (or at least a more expensive one!). It seems the cost of a new pump (£300+ for a Stuart Turner Monsoon?) plus plumber to change the pipework will run to several hundred pounds.

So that got me thinking whether I wouldn't be better off going the whole hog and changing the whole hot water system to mains pressure type, or some other type. In theory I would then not need a new shower pump, not now nor never! The current system I have is a typical vented hw system with an old Thorn boiler in the kitchen, a hw cylinder upstairs and the usual tanks in the loft etc.

What I would like to know is what would need to be replaced in order to install a mains pressure hw system. Then hopefully, I can try and assess how much it would cost to do it. Then I can decide whether to just get the cheapo shower pump for the time being ...

I guess I would need a new cylinder at a cost of ... £500??? £1000???
Not sure if the boiler needs to be replaced, and if so, with what type ...?
Tanks in loft might need to be removed ...?
Any other advantages or pitfalls?

There might even be some alternative methods to achieve a better shower ...???!

All advice much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
I would have been happy with one of the Salamander cheaper models. But they stipulate "HOT AND COLD SUPPLIES NOT MORE THAN 2 metres in 15mm" for the pipework supplying the pump. Unfortunately I have 1m on the hot side but nearly 3m on the cold side, all in 15mm.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back