Replace wired ESI room stat with a wireless equivalent?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm in a new build townhouse with an Ideal Logic Heat boiler, an ESI ES3247B controller and two heating zones both with wired ESI ESRTD3 room thermostats.

Our upstairs room stat is in located in our master bedroom which gets a lot of sun and is generally much warmer than the rest of the upstairs rooms. So, thinking I might be able to swap the upstairs wired room stat for a wireless equivalent I ordered an ESI ESRTERFW.

I've attached a photo of the existing wiring in the ESRTD3 (this live appears to be switched rather than permanent), and the wiring diagram for the ESRTERFW which looks like it needs a permanent live.

Looks like I was being a bit 'optimistic' about being able to do a simple swap out, but I'd appreciate a second opinion before I call in an engineer. Am I missing an easy option here or is it just not as simple as I'd hoped?

Any advice appreciated, thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_9271.jpeg
    IMG_9271.jpeg
    194.6 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_9272.jpeg
    IMG_9272.jpeg
    334.4 KB · Views: 102
Sponsored Links
Yes generally they need a permanent live and permanent neutral, which you may have (testing would prove this). Then link the L to Com as it states in instructions, and you’re done.

Thanks @CBW - just to make sure I understand (amateur hour!) - I tested the live connection in the wired stat with a tester screwdriver when the heating was set to run at the programmer and it was live - I then tested it again when the heating wasn't running and it wasn't live. I assume that means it's switched rather than permanent, so I'll need to get an engineer in to connect a permanent supply to be able to use the wireless stat. Is that right?

Yes, if it’s only live during a heating demand, then it’s not permanent live. Probably should have pointed that out on your setup of zone valves, but could have been wired differently.

Sponsored Links
I'd suggest binning off the 2 zone control altogether. It's 1980's engineering.

Buy a wireless system such as the Wiser Drayton and put smart valves on every rad.

Will cost you a bit, but in the long term, you'll save money on heating and a have a modern, wifi/app controlled system that will give you ultimate flexibility and control (every rad becomes its own zone).

It's a new house. Put new tech in it.

Thanks @CBW - just to make sure I understand (amateur hour!) - I tested the live connection in the wired stat with a tester screwdriver when the heating was set to run at the programmer and it was live - I then tested it again when the heating wasn't running and it wasn't live. I assume that means it's switched rather than permanent, so I'll need to get an engineer in to connect a permanent supply to be able to use the wireless stat. Is that right?
just leave the heating set to constantly on and the two stats will operate the zone valves and control the boiler

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back