Replacement Door Lock

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I have a wooden Framed front door, it has 2 double glazed panels (1 top and 1 Bottom), I would like to replace the door lock, we have 2 locks, the one I want to replace is a Yale cylinder lock (The other is a 5 lever mortice lock), i'm not sure what to get, on the inside of the house the lock says Yale, on the outside of the house the Cylinder says ERA, not sure why? The diameter of the cylinder is @ 32 mm, the door is approx 57 mm deep, I have noticed that there are 40mm locks and 60mm locks, is this the depth? If so, I obviously need the 60.
The reason that I want a new lock is 2 fold,
1 the Cylinder on the outside is a bit loose.
2 very occasionally we have had problems getting in and my wife has said something to do with the catch?

I was also wondering if just a cylinder might work? The one below comes with 6 keys, we do need quite a few:-

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Yale-Locks-...UTF8&colid=MLRTT3P3KHTR&coliid=I1CUEC4HYYAL0T

Thanks

Steve

Sponsored Links
if you sometimes have trouble getting in, it is important to identify which part is at fault so you can replace it.

Does they key fail to turn the cylinder, or does the cylinder turn but the door not open?

If you mean that the cylinder is not tightly gripped to the outside of the door, you can just tighten the two fixing screws, which are on the inside of the door. You will have to remove the latch part to access them (you will also have to do this to fit a new cylinder)

Thanks, to be honest the problem doesn't happen that often, I've ordered the cylinder, will that be easy to fit?

Sponsored Links
The 40mm and 60mm dimension refers to the centre of the rim cylinder to the door edge.
I think you need to check that measurement of 57mm, that's a very thick door.
Any rim cylinder will fit but is worth upgrading to a british standard cylinder. A BS kite mark will be on the face of the cylinder.
Pictures are good.
DC

The 40mm and 60mm dimension refers to the centre of the rim cylinder to the door edge.
I think you need to check that measurement of 57mm, that's a very thick door.
Any rim cylinder will fit but is worth upgrading to a british standard cylinder. A BS kite mark will be on the face of the cylinder.
Pictures are good.
DC

Thanks for that, not that it matters just for a replacement cylinder but I measured the distance from the centre of the rim to edge of the door and it's 40mm. The Yale P1109 arrived and half way thorough fitting it, my wife mentioned that it doesn't match due to the rest of the door furniture being satin, I contacted Yale and they don't do satin in that range, I asked them about the British Kite mark, as the P1109 doesn't have one, apparently the lock is a lot more difficult to pick it , she told me about the X5, but that is only in Brass or Chrome, so where can I get a Satin Rim Lock with a British kite nark?

Just as a FYI, fitting the replacement Rim is fairly Straight forward, what I struggled with was putting the catch back on, getting it lined up and to go flush is a bit awkward, the 'Tongue' that is in the Cylinder Rim is a bit 'Floppy', so to get that to line up with the catch was difficult, if anyone has any tips that would be great.

Thanks

Steve

I made the assumption that you were using brass and indeed Yale do not offer a satin chrome finish on the X5 range only bright chrome.
Best advice find your local locksmith shop and ask what they stock for rim cylinders. The Gege ap1000 is a well made cylinder available with a nickel finish (but expensive).
With trying to get the tail (tongue) into the backset perhaps you cut it to short but an aid to getting it to engage is to take a piece of flat plastic from a carton or similar, cut a slot to put the tail through, line up the backset and then move the plastic to line up the tail with the corresponding slot in the backset. You can then move the plastic left and right and up and down.
Once engaged pull the plastic out leaving the tail engaged and fit the screws. You could also use a piece of cardboard.
DC77
Teamlocksmiths.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back