replacement fan for older halstead boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, after following the flow chart with my halstead ace user guide, it appears my fan is doomed, however i cant find the corresponding part at any merchants (part 988316). Does anyone know if the current fan assembly for the Halstead ace will be compatible with my boiler.

p.s boiler failing to ignite and no power at fan using multi meter. any one else had this problem?

Sponsored Links
had my mate whos an installer round and all appeared fine at pcb, although the guide seemed to suggest any fault would mean replacing the pcb.....

the boiler would work after a few reset attempts, but has finally given up the ghost

You need to check that the boiler is sending voltage to the fan. If you`ve no reading at the fan you need to find out why. The fan won`t turn without the buzzy stuff.

Sponsored Links
pretty sure it was although i will double check tomorrow.... ive heard from a few people that instaed of repairing a halstead i might be better off binning it and upgrading as parts are so expensive. Any truth in this?

I don't think I've ever been asked for an Ace fan

Lots of requests for a recon pcb though

so, yes, check that you have volts to the fan from the pcb

The part was 988416, but is now 988398.
If all is as you suggest - "fine" at the pcb, but no voltage at the fan, then you should be checking the cables! You presumably have checked the fan resistance? Or tried it from a separate supply?
Perhaps you need someone who, as the law requires, is "competent"?

i wouldnt dream of trying to sort it myself. just relaying what i can remember my "competant" mate said, though perhaps i've got it slightly wrong

the boiler would work after a few reset attempts, but has finally given up the ghost

If the fan does not run, the boiler would not fire. Can you hear the fan running after a few reset when the boiler works.

First things first.

Does it need a hard reset? left hand side underneath boiler towards front red button cross shape, push it in firmly?

Secondly
Is the primary flow microswitch making?

thirdly is aps stuck?

fourthly now is there power at pcb connector that goes to fan?

fifhtly is there power to fan, etc.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Expensive on parts but Ariston use many of the parts, if nothing else take one off take it to parts stockist, "what's that off"? "oh that's off an Ariston blah blah", "I#ll take one of those please? Parts will cost half as much.

No not a boiler I would scrap, worth repairing for many years to come, I don't fit them but there are many around these parts as City Plumbing is very active here and their guys fit loads of Halsteads, they hardly ever break down.

You aren't suggesting that someone fits a fan from a different boiler on the basis that it looks the same?? :eek:

have tried a hard reset, with no effect. Upon switiching the power on, there is a slight pause then the pump comes on then nothing. will go through your suggestions today.

ChrisR said:
You aren't suggesting that someone fits a fan from a different boiler on the basis that it looks the same?? :eek:

No I didn't mean the fan was thinking diverter valve and maybe thermisters, but it's a while since I saw a halstead inside so can't remember what thermisters they are. I do know that the Halstead part is £20.
WE don't expect he needs a fan, he hasn't even proved the pump proving yet.

ok so the boiler is fixed, but i should warn you about the halstead tech helpline! My mate (competant corgi etc etc), rang them about 5 different times and all but one diagnosed the wrong problem. I know theyre only human but its not much fun when youre out buying parts that you dont need.

In the end it was a new PCB. The flow chart in the users manual led you down the path of "new fan", but the chap at halstead said that it was a misprint and should read "new PCB".

anyway, does anyone need a APS for a halstead in good working order?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back