Replacement front door handles.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

My front door handles need to be replaced, because the exterior handle and back plate has rusted inside. The lock is in good working order.

I contacted Union, but the handles are no longer made. The main measurements are:

PZ: approximately 2" or 5 cms.
Length of back plate: approximately 21.2 cms.
Width of back plate 3.3 cms.
Screw to screw: 19.2 cms.

I have not been able to find any exact alternatives. Please can you give me any suggestions, particularly if I can keep the existing lock?

I have attached 3 photos.

Thanks for any help.

Attachments

• Door handle 1.jpg
    Door handle 1.jpg
    153.5 KB · Views: 85
  • Door handle 2.jpg
    Door handle 2.jpg
    229.5 KB · Views: 58
  • Door handle 3.jpg
    Door handle 3.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 50
Sponsored Links
the important measurement is from the centre of the bigger round bit of the Euro cylinder to the centre of the handle spindle

typically its 92mm or 72mm

then you need to check the handle through bolt positions -there are generally 2 man options

here is an example: its a Mila stainless handle with a backplate of 220mm x 32mm -there are the other dimensions shown so you can check

you wont be able to order from Mila but you can google the product name and find a stockist

Thanks.

The distance is only a short one. I have been told the PZ is 48mm if that helps.

The critical measurement is the PZ as that is fixed and can't be altered if keeping the same locking mech, fixing through holes can be drilled, this'll be at least a 30 year old door so don't expect handles to be easy to find so expect to retro fit a different style/make of handle

Sponsored Links
Two days ago I knew nothing about door handles. Thanks for your help, I now know what I'm looking for. Hoppe do three or four to choose from, including the Hoppe Everest Union lock match. Does it matter if the new holes are very close to the old ones, given that the backplates are screwed together?

Before I order one, I need to check that the bolt has not rusted inside the locking mechanism.

It's best to check that one or both screws don't pass directly through the lock body itself

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back