Replacement upvc internal bead gasket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, we have recently moved into a new house where the previous owners were allergic to any sort of maintenance. Anyway, alot of the upvc internal bead gaskets have rotted (the black gasket that sits between the bead and window). I have taken the bead off, however the gasket seems glued to the bead? Is this normal, and if so how can I replace it, please see attached a few pictures, thanks in advance for your help.

Sponsored Links
It looks like one of the early types of PVC windows.
This design is rare now.

The best you can do is wash the beads with warm soapy water.

I'm pretty sure you are gonna have problems trying to find new beading.

I can only say to look on the windows and see if there is any sign of the company name on them.. and then contact the window company.

The odds of you finding replacement beads for an old window are virtually zero.

As said above do they clean up ok?

If not you could be lucky here as you have an unusually flat back to the bead. You could cut the rubber off flush with a sharp blade and then stick on a new dry glaze gasket of the correct thickness.

Something like this (but make sure the thickness is correct):
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5m-Single...Scrapbooking_Glue_Tape_EH&hash=item53f62cf7c6

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Those windows look identical to the ones in my house.

If you do find out who made them, i'd be interested to know.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replys, I think we'll try the dry glazing option, other than that they can wait a few years and be replaced.

Many Thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back