Replacement Valve for CWC

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I currently have a Torbeck type valve on my cold water storage tank. Recently I am constantly having to strip the valve down and blow it out then reassemble as it keeps overflowing. It will be fine for a few months and then does it again. I have bought a couple of kits and replace both the diaphragm and the rubber washer/nipple on the float arm but although it improved it I still get the occasional overflow.
  1. Firstly is it acceptable/good practice to fit a torbeck valve to a cold water cistern? If so should I replace the whole body as I have already replaced the parts?
  2. Secondly if not good practice are the Part 2 ball valves quieter/more efficient than the older brass ball valves?
Many thanks
Fozzie

Sponsored Links
1. Cold water storage cistern must have a float operated valve to BS1212 Part 2 (brass) or BS1212 Part 3 (plastic). Not sure if Torbeck are to that standard, but personally would only fit Part 2 to a CWSC.
2. Part 2 ball valves are not inherently quieter nor more efficient that the old (Part 1) brass valves. You are no longer allowed to have a tube taking the incoming water below the level of water in the tank.

Torbeck's are very quiet, but are prone to grit or limescale problems. Have you recently worked on your incoming water pipe? Or fitted a softener?

I used to be very fond of them, but the newer Fluidmaster is reasonably quiet, and possibly less troublesome.

You can buy a brass Equilibrium valve, which is quiet, but very expensive.

BTW it saves time to have a spare valve hanging next to the tank so you can quickly swap them, then service the old one at your leisure, and hang it up for next time.

When you take the old valve off, let the water gush into the tank at full flow for a minute or two to help wash out any sediment from the pipes.

Sponsored Links
Thank Guys guess i need to change the valve to a Part 2 and put up with the occasional noise when it fills (y)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back