Replacing 2-Gang Switch with Metal Dimmer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Have just moved into a new build (3 months old) and want to replace plastic 2-gang switch (I think that's the correct term - 2 switches on 1 wall plate controlling 2 separate fittings?) with a double rotary metal dimmer.

Current backing plate is plastic, so no earth wiring, and wiring to the switch is currently 2 brown wires(presumably live and switched live) to each side of the switch (1 to com, and 1 to L1, and there is also an empty L2 on each side), then with a bridge of brown wire joining the two L1's together. However there are also 4 blue wires and 4 earth wires going into a terminal block (with nothing out of the other side).

Firstly - if I match the brown wiring on the new dimmer to the existing wiring, will this work? (total wattage per light fitting is only 120W, so within dimmer rating).

Secondly - I will need the earth for the new metal switch plate - presumably I can just wire to the opposite side of the one into the terminal block, but how do I check that it's actually connected to an earth block at the other end of the circuit?

Apologies - new to this - if you need more clarity let me know!

Sam.

Sponsored Links
Yes you can do it as you propose, if it is a new build I would be amazed if the cpc's are not connected to earth but you can prove it by measuring between live & earth & you should read 230/240v AC approx.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back