replacing a 1910 slate roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Simple question - does anyone know where I can find some good diagrams that show the make up of a slate roof in terms of timbers, coverings before slates are put on top. I'm sure there are a multitude of options and I'm keen to try to educate myself a little before I get a roofer around to look at my shabby old one that appears to ahve lovely slate tiles straight on timber.

Whilst in the loft, I can see a lot of light - whilst I'm sure ventilation is good, the relentless rain of glasgow somewhat scares me and I need an overhaul I think.

Sponsored Links
Your slates may still be usable but it is normal to have to replace at least 1/3rd with newer ones. Even better if you can get second hand ones that match. You will however need breathable membrane (not felt) which along with new batterns should be CE approved quality. A strip and re-fit will require scaffolding whch can increase the price of the job by £1000-2000 depending on the size and complexity. If they slates are totally gone then new ones are a whole new game. Imported slate tends to be inferior, and options to change to concrete tiles may be subject to planning. There are some new 'plastic' composite slate look versions too, but I would certainly shop around and get a few quotes. Overal it sounds as if the rof needs a good dose of looking at. Good Luck

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back