Replacing a bathroom extractor fan

The wires in the ceiling are red, blue, yellow.
Red, blue, yellow and bare earth, surely?

No, red, blue and yellow, no bare earth.

They change to brown, blue, green between the switch and the fan.
Green?

Really?

Yes, brown, blue and green, although on closer inspection the green does have a yellow strip on the back.

I'm afraid I don't know what type of shower it is. Hot water pipe from the boiler to a mixer valve then up to a shower outlet overhead. Sorry I can't be more specific! :)

Sponsored Links
Red, blue, yellow and bare earth, surely?
No, red, blue and yellow, no bare earth.
Some joker appears to have cut off the bare earth which should also be there - and which, at the very least, should be connected to that metal back box.
They change to brown, blue, green between the switch and the fan.
Green? Really?
Yes, brown, blue and green, although on closer inspection the green does have a yellow strip on the back.
Yes, green/yellow makes sense.
I'm afraid I don't know what type of shower it is. Hot water pipe from the boiler to a mixer valve then up to a shower outlet overhead. Sorry I can't be more specific! :)
I think that probably answers BAS's question - I presume that he wanted to know whether it was an electric shower, a mixer shower or a 'pumped' one.

Kind Regards, John

Some joker appears to have cut off the bare earth which should also be there - and which, at the very least, should be connected to that metal back box.

Well that joker was an electrician working for the council in 1976 as it hasn't been touched since! :)

So, can the electrician work with the wiring that is there to fit the new fan or will they need to trace back and add in the extra live from somewhere else?

Sponsored Links
Well that joker was an electrician working for the council in 1976 as it hasn't been touched since! :) So, can the electrician work with the wiring that is there to fit the new fan or will they need to trace back and add in the extra live from somewhere else?
Can't be sure. For a start, (s)he would have to try to find the earth wire cut off by the aforementioned joker in order to connect it to the back box, if not other things - which might be difficult/impossible if there is no slack in the cable. The real question relates to what the red and yellow are - one of them could be a permanent live, and the electrician could determine that by simple testing. The cable from the switch to the fan would really need to be replaced with 4-core - the fan needs permanent live, switched live and neutral, and really also an earth run to it (even if not used). That can't be achieved with the existing 3-core flex. Even if one 'forgot' about running an earth to the fan, it would involve using the green/yellow wire (always used for earth, and never anything other than earth) as something other than earth (live or neutral) - which most people would regard as an extremely bad practice.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back