Replacing a recoil starter on a Tecumseh 35

C

cabot

My performance power 420 petrol lawnmower has recently had problems with the recoil starter.Now its packed in and the spring has SPRUNG from its casing.Never worked on one of these before and i don't want to throw it out and run to the local diy store and buy a nice shiny new one.Does any one know where i can source a recoil starter for the above item.It was originally bought in diy store but they dont do any parts back up.Anyone changed one before.I am quite technical minded so don't mind stripping it down and giving it a go.The item is attached to the main body of the lawnmower with 4 screw bolts.Thanks

Sponsored Links
should be fairly easy to wind it back into its casing. cant give you a step by step guide, but ive done it on a few starter assemblys when they gone, and its fairly staright forward (hope that makes sense!)

Are you sure its a Tecumseh engine because most of the Performance Power mowers were fitted with the chinese engine,this mower was manufactured by GGP who own Mountfield.

Sponsored Links
Yes its definately a Tecumsah 35 engine or at least that's what it reads on the label.The mower is about 12 years old i think and has never given me any problems until now.The only problem i have is the fact that the starters advertised seem to be different in shape.This one is combined with a rectangular engine cover and is held in place by 4 bolts which are bolted on to the engine ( 2 front 2 back) horizontally and not vertically as seems to be the norm.Any suggestions or do i have to throw it out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back