replacing a rose lighting fixture

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hay,

I need to replace a lighting fixture as the old one was falling apart. Without thinking about it I disconnected the old one to then realise that the cabling that we have there is 3 normal cables with each having the red, black and earth wires coming out of them. When looked it up I saw that one of the cables, (coming form the switch) normally has 2 red cables to show its a circuit. With out this I don't know where anything goes anymore. How do I work it out pulling apart the ceiling and following the cables.

Sponsored Links
When looked it up I saw that one of the cables, (coming form the switch) normally has 2 red cables to show its a circuit.
Normally it doesn't - the use of twin red is unusual - red/black is far more common. The black in that case should be sleeved red, but that's not always done.

How do I work it out pulling apart the ceiling and following the cables.
You'll need to use a multimeter on continuity setting to identify the switch cable.

The (switched) black should have a red sleeve around it. You can turn off the power and with a multimeter or similar connect (it) across a red and black using a continuity setting. Then get someone to operate the switch, if the reading jumps from a high reading to a low reading then you've found your switch wire. (operate the switch a few times). If no change move on to the next cable and repeat etc. etc.

EDIT beaten by bas

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back