Replacing a thermostat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am going to have my hall plastered and redecorated. This will leave an old Sunvic dial type thermostat looking out of place and old.

I have an ideal Mexico floorstanding boiler and a British Gas UP1 controller next to it. Again nothin fancy - can set heating to come on twice daily, hot water the same, no heating without hot water if you know what I mean.

I have gravity hot water and pumped central heating.

I've put a picture of my Sunvic thermostat and it's innards on the post.

I'd be really grateful if so done could advise of an easy replacement and any pitfalls with fitting.

All help really appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Find one you like the look of then ask us whether its compatible as aesthetics seem to be important here...

I could be wrong as I'm no expert, but it looks to me as you have a 2-wire jobby there. No neutral connection, just the live and switched live (+earth of course). If this is the case I would say one of the battery powered 2-wire things would be your easiest option as most dial thermostats I have seen when I was recently looking require a neutral connection as well.

something like this :

http://www.screwfix.com/p/horstmann-centaurstat-7-room-thermostat/12157

I just fitted one last night, easy to fit and use.

Thank you. I presume I'd need a battery one to power a digital display?
Is this a move forward? Would I be changing it all the time?
A non digital (but a bit more modern looking) would be acceptable too, should they still exist.

Sponsored Links
You can still get the dial types, they have em in Screwfix for around 20 quid, but most require a 3 wire connection as the need a neutral as well. Your picture looks like you only have a 2 wire type so a digital battery one will save you having to run new cables.

Reasons I went for digital programmable one are:

We only have a 2 wire cable run and it is at opposite end of the house to the boiler, didn't want to run new cables.

I liked the idea that everything is done from one place, just leave the boiler set to constant on and set different temperatures for different times from the thermostat. Otherwise I would have to set times at one end of the house and temperature at the other. And it's nice to have some heat through the night as we have a 12 month old who does not like being cold.
We have it set at 16 degrees from 11pm until 6am and 20 degrees from 6am until 11pm in the week and from 7 am till midnight on the weekend.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back