replacing asbestos pitched roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to replace an asbestos pitched roof on my detached garage 7m x 3m.
Firstly where can I dispose of the asbestos roof (cheaply)?
Secondly I want to replace it with a transparent roof for a workshop/studio that i can work in when its cold.
Shall i go for a cheap corregated one and can it be pitched? Or will I have to go for cell sheets like a conservatory roof with all the fixtures and add-ons?
thank you very much

Sponsored Links
I want to replace an asbestos pitched roof on my detached garage 7m x 3m.
Firstly where can I dispose of the asbestos roof (cheaply)?

Its straightforward to diy but if you get men in spacesuits working out of a special van with a shower it will be £££. IF you are cautious use a diluted solution of pva glue over the sheets to stop it creating dust. When you work, keep hosing it down both sides with water. Double wrap it in poly sheets which you can buy cheap enough from Screwfix. Don't smash the sheets - unbolt or hacksaw the bolts. Wear disposable full suits and get proper vented masks, not those little sh*t ones.

Call your local council for advice. In Norfolk you are allowed to dispose of 250kg per year. When you take it to the tip, you have to pay £70. You get an invoice which you send to the council and they refund it. One year I removed all my asbestos soffits. The next year I removed all my garage roof. The big sheets weigh around 30kg each at around 10ft long, 3ft wide. Good luck.

Dispose of as stated by previous poster(my local council also lets diy tip it for free in skips if double bagged).Replace with plastic coated box profile roof sheets,any compatent DIYer can fix these and will last a life time if correctly fixed.Just call your local sheet supplier(NOT LOCAL BUILDERS MERCHANT) tell them what your doing,sizes and they will advise you what to use=Sheets,fixings,ridge caps,edgings etc;) .

Sponsored Links
my local council want 80 quid per half ton i think it was ,mid suffolk.
i undid the bolts with an angle grinder (being very careful not to damage the asbestos) , i wasnt aware that i may be able to claim the money back , or are different councils different about asbestos disposal?

Asbestos removal is always a pain in the wallet but as has been said some councils are very proactive. A local one to us even collects FOC.

One of our local recycling (skip) companies is licenced for disposal at their site and they will allow domestic disposal on site for no charge so that may be an avenue to also try. All they need is a utility bill to be shown on arrival

my local council want 80 quid per half ton i think it was ,mid suffolk.
i undid the bolts with an angle grinder (being very careful not to damage the asbestos) , i wasnt aware that i may be able to claim the money back , or are different councils different about asbestos disposal?

It seems all councils are slightly different. I have been told that in Cambridge they supply you the bags. If you don't take the waste in those bags, they won't accept it. How that works with large roofing sheets I don't know.

I remembered now when I took my roof off I used a pair of large bolt croppers to split off the rusted bolts holding it down.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back