Replacing boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm starting to think about replacing my boiler and am hoping for some confirmation/advice.

I presently have an old Netaheat with a hot water cylinder and 2 cold water tanks - 1 for the hot water cylinder and 1 for the cold water supply in the bathroom (I think). I also have 4 radiators, in a ground floor flat of 4 rooms, one of which is the bathroom.

Anyway, I am considering a Potterton Gold C24 HE, because it was recommended by WHICH, and am hoping that at the same time as the work is being done, the cold water supply to the bathroom can be changed to a mains supply. This is because the pressure from the mixer shower at the moment is pretty low, due to the cold water tank (and the hot water cylinder) being only a few feet above the level of the shower head. There are also about a dozen separate spray nozzles which don't really chuck out water as powerfully as they could.

So, if I did the above, would I notice the difference in the pressure of the shower or would I need to do something else ? Would a bigger bore hose make a difference ?

Finally, what sort of price should I expect for the boiler plus installation, etc - £3000 ?

Thanks for any replies.

Sponsored Links
I'm starting to think about replacing my boiler and am hoping for some confirmation/advice.

I presently have an old Netaheat with a hot water cylinder and 2 cold water tanks - 1 for the hot water cylinder and 1 for the cold water supply in the bathroom (I think). I also have 4 radiators, in a ground floor flat of 4 rooms, one of which is the bathroom.

Anyway, I am considering a Potterton Gold C24 HE, because it was recommended by WHICH, and am hoping that at the same time as the work is being done, the cold water supply to the bathroom can be changed to a mains supply. This is because the pressure from the mixer shower at the moment is pretty low, due to the cold water tank (and the hot water cylinder) being only a few feet above the level of the shower head. There are also about a dozen separate spray nozzles which don't really chuck out water as powerfully as they could.

So, if I did the above, would I notice the difference in the pressure of the shower or would I need to do something else ? Would a bigger bore hose make a difference ?

Finally, what sort of price should I expect for the boiler plus installation, etc - £3000 ?

Thanks for any replies.

You sound foreign so I would charge you about 7 Grand. ;) & that`s cheap.

Combi will probably sort out your low pressure troubles, but a 28kW model, for a few pounds more, will give superior hot water preformance. Whichever you decide you will probably have to uprate (increase the size of) the gas supply pipework.
Can you identify a clear route from the gas meter all the way to the boiler location? Seen some very dodgy installations in London flat conversions, the most extreme was where the gas hot went out when the combi ran!!!!

Sponsored Links
Combi will probably sort out your low pressure troubles, but a 28kW model, for a few pounds more, will give superior hot water preformance. Whichever you decide you will probably have to uprate (increase the size of) the gas supply pipework.
Can you identify a clear route from the gas meter all the way to the boiler location? Seen some very dodgy installations in London flat conversions, the most extreme was where the gas hot went out when the combi ran!!!!

OK, 28kW sounds better - as long as it's not too much more expensive.

Not too sure about the gas pipes because they're hidden under floorboards and behind panels but they should be easy enough to access and change if necessary.

Still not clear about the cold water supply, though. When the boiler gets changed, I don't see how the cold water pressure will be increased to the shower - or will it not need to be, as long as the hot is stronger ?

Any further info appreciated, if anyone is still looking...

get the cold swapped to main when you have the combi fitted, this will give you about the same cold pressure at bath as you now have at the kitchen sink cold tap

There is quite a lot of work in converting a conventional system to a combi.

Before even thinking of that the cold mains flow rate needs to be checked and should be at least 10 li/m as an absolute minimum with very restricted useage limitations.

Ideally about 20 li/min for good performance.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back