Replacing ceiling joists?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am replacing the crumbling plaster & lathe ceilings in a stone built, mid 19th century cottage and wish to make the loft space useable/safe for storage.

The current joists are way too small and vary in size considerably along they're length. Most of them are made from 1/4'd logs, with the curve of the log still showing on one side. (see pics)

I'd like to replace them with 7x2 joists to give the required strength plus a level ceiling once boarded..

I've been advised by a builder to NOT remove the old joists for fear of damaging the wall plate. He suggested laying the new joists between the old, and laying the boards on them, and the plasterboard on the old joists.
The problem there is I'll still have a VERY uneven ceiling as the old joists are so bowed and crooked.

Now, (prepares to be shot down in flames.. :rolleyes: ) my idea is to cut the old joists (one at a time) just back from the wall, and split them with a chisel so that they come away without pulling the nails from the wall plate, then I could grind away the nails and fit my new joists. Would this not be a safe (if not long winded) way to go about it?

Also, while fitting the new joists I could screw them to the rafters as well as the plate, unlike the current ones which sit near them, but aren't attached..

Your thoughts please :confused:

Sponsored Links
You could batten out below the joist or even install metal grid system. That would give you a good flat/level surface to board to.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back