Replacing ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening!

The ceiling in my spare room started coming down a few weeks back (not from me mis-stepping I might add!), it's an old lathe and plaster jobbie, about 4 square foot of plaster has come down so far and there's clearly more to come. I'll be replacing it with plasterboard, the question is should I just board over what's there, pull down the plaster, or pull down the lathes too? I have good access from above to kick it out, and mess isn't an issue. Ta for any advice.

Sponsored Links
If the mess is not an issue, and there will be some! so shut the doors lay the dust sheets and open the windows, have brush, shovel, buckets, rubble bags at the ready. Don't forget the PPE, goggles, dust mask, gloves are a must!
Rip the lot down and start from scratch.
If you have a helper, I would suggest using 2.4X1.2X12.5mm boards for the ceiling as it will cover the area quicker with less joints and normally less cuts.
The joints between butted boards should be staggered this will help prevent cracks along the joist lines. Screws every 150-200mm, use dry wall screws also consider a vapour check board to prevent condensation.
A few useful links:
dry wall screws
vapour check
staggered joints
dead man

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back