Replacing Crittall Windows - is it a DIY job?!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking to replace 3 of these windows with some four pane wooden windows.

Never fitted any windows before so am wondering how hard can it be?!

Am I going to regret it once I start? What is the best way to fix windows, if they come pre-glazed? Using fixing straps which will then be plastered over? The stonework on the inside is only rough.

Any suggestions or things I should be aware of?

Probably looking at replacing with something like this:

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
When your pricing up the windows ask for quote of both supply only and fitted.
It should only be a days labor max for a couple of fitters. They will no dought be Fensa registered so can log it with building control. If you do it yourself you would need building control to come out to inspect and will charge about £200.

Also a proper window company will garentee their fitting and window for about 10 years, I expect it will only be £100-200 more fitted for the pair once you factor in the building control fee plus they will have all the tools and fixings and knowledge.

Besides those old Crittels are rendered right in and are going to be a pig to get out.

Everything Gazman say's may be true, but here's how I used to take out the old and fit the new timber ones.
Remove the opening sash with a crowbar (just lever it against the remaining frame) then cut through one of the sides at a slight downward angle, the bottom part is now free to crowbar in wards, followed by the rest of the frame, it could be described as an implotion in a way. With the old window out its time to insert the new wooden ones, these should have a suitable width of Visqeen DPC stapeled all round the frame. now simply clear the ingos to allow the new frame and visqueen to push up against the window checks, if there are none the frame should be positioned roughly level and plum with long wedges and checked scrupulously with a level, replacing the wedges with square strait packers as required. Between these packers expanding foam should be sqeezed, between ingo and frame to provide a good draght proof seal. Job done ...pinenot :)

Sponsored Links
If you only have four windows to fit will probably not be so much more, if you have supply only and make a botch could be more expensive.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back