Replacing driveway & hardcore with Lawn

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Im in the process of replacing some of my driveway with lawn. Ive cut away some of the Mono block which revealed about 100mm of sand (im assuming Building sand). I removed the sand and then dug out a further 200mm of compacted Hardcore. I now have a hole around 300mm deep the floor of which is compacted clay. My Plan was to fill it with 2 tonnes of topsoil a layer at a time to ensure its heeled in properly then screed over it with a layer of sharp sand to get it level, however my neighbour has just completed a similar project and his new lawn has sunk in places.

Is there a maximum depth of top soil that can be added?.

Ive heard 150mm of top soil is ideal for turf but im unsure what to put underneath this to fill the remaining depth.

I have a load of stones removed from an other area of the garden (red chips) and was considering adding a layer of these to a) get rid of them and b) hopefully help drainage? c) prevent the lawn from sinking?

Is this a crazy idea?

//www.diynot.com/network/alimoonwalker/albums/

Sponsored Links
No its a good idea! Mix the chippings in 70:30 with the soil for the first 6 inches. Then go just topsoil for the last 6.

Any area of fill of significant depth is going to settle to some degree but try and get unscreened top soil as it settles less and the stones are good anyway. Heeling it in or rolling it every 3 inches will help a lot.

Some light topdressing next spring will take out any low spots.

Thanks for your reply r896neo. Its good to know i have top dressing to fall back on. Should i be trying to turn over the clay floor of the hole also?. I tried digging down to see if i could hit some decent soil but the clay seems never ending. Am i wasting my time digging any further?

Some areas of my garden are pretty wet, bit worried this new area ends up swampy too. Mite lay some drainage pipe which can be connected up at a later date if need be. Pricey stuff tho!.

Thanks again r896neo

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back