replacing block paving with turf

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Going to replace some block paving in garden with turf ( daughter just started walking) blocks are 60mm thick and then there is a thick sand bead under it , then hardcore.
Will I have to remove some of the sand to apply top soil or will i get away with a thin layer of approx 30mm of top soil on top of the sand ,then the turf???.
Many thanks

Sponsored Links
you need a minimum depth of topsoil of 100mm for the turf to grow well.

No way will your turf thrive on 30 m/m of soil. Thermo is right 100 m/m, more is better.

The sand/hardcore will keep your lawn bone dry, you would need to water it every day for the rest of its life to stand a chance.

Thanks for the advise... , when i dig out to thecorrect depth would it be best to put a membrane down then the top soil to try and keep the soil moist and not drain away ?
Also anyone know any good top soil suppliers in Manchetser or online,
done a quote on northwestturf for 12 tonne (£214.65) delivered.

Sponsored Links
no membrane, do you see them do it on tv make over shows? (with respect to laying a lawn)

no need as breezer says. You can use certain membranes on weed infested ground.

One thing to think about when buying topsoil.WEEDS. have a look at where your supplier is getting it from, I bought some and spent the next twelve months putting round up on the s******g things.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back