Laying turf

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi I'm about to lay some turf in my back garden and got a few questions if anyone can help

First it used to be slabbed so there was sand under them so I rotivated it to try mix it as much as I can with the soil. Will this hurt the turf ?

And seconding if it doesn't hurt it I plan to put top soil down before the turf just to give the turf enough chance to grow but what depth would you recommend for that ?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
There's already topsoil in the turves, so you could add some extra, but it's not that necessary. Sand in the soil will help with drainage, so that won't be anissue either, but what's the quality of the subsoil that you've rotovated, and how flat have you managed to get it.

Thanks for the reply and I managed to get it quite flat and tbh I'm really not sure about the quality of the soil this is the first time I've done something like this

Sponsored Links
In laying turves, you're dealing with most of the problems of getting a new lawn, so the quality of the soil underneath is only important in terms of drainage, so I think you're going to be okay, but only time will tell I'm afraid. When laying the turves, push them tightly together as you lay each one, and that'll stop large gaps opening up, but if they do, then you can fill them with sand. I'm sure you'll find a lot of videos on Youtube to help you.. Best of luck.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back