New lawn

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've read all the necessary posts about laying a new lawn and know what I've got to do.

My mate is hiring a rotivator and will lend it to me this weekend, so I can rotivate our garden, which is just earth left by the builders.

I want to do all the prep this weekend and leave it ready for the new turf. Thing is, I can't put the new turf down for a couple of weeks.

Does the turf need to go down quickly after the prep, or can I wait a couple of weeks? I was wondering if weeds will grow during those 2 weeks.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Rotavating can bring weed seeds up to the surface and chop weed roots into viable pieces but at this time of year, they're not going to grow much and can be easily dealt with. Before you put the turf down, go round and pull anything that looks like a perennial weed (dandelions, sow thistles etc - deep tap roots not desirable in your new lawn, couch grass - shallow lateral roots also not desirable) and run over the surface with a hoe the day before if there are any annuals.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back