New lawn

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just got a price to remove our lawn and replace with a new one, it's 115 square meters apparently.

They're going to;
Remove our old turf
Rotivate, adding a bit of soil (for some reason) and compost
And lay quality turf

They want £1300 all in.

Does this sound right?

Sponsored Links
Stripping the old turf will remove a layer of soil - the stuff that the turf is rooted into. To keep the lawn at the same level, it will have to be replaced. The compost is to add nutrients and improve the soil structure - lawns often suffer from compaction so adding organic matter helps a bit in keeping the soil structure open.

That makes sense about them bringing in more soil - thanks.

I want to pay what is right for the job, I would hate to think I'm being ripped off.

Sponsored Links
Well, if I was doing it, I'd do the same as I would for any other contract - get at least 3 competitive quotes from local companies. That should give you a decent idea of what's a fair price.

Now I'm confused.

I've now got a couple more prices; £1590 and £1565.

Does this mean the cheapest guy is going to do sub-standard job?

Maybe, maybe not. There isn't enough information here to tell. Compare the quotes item by item. Look for any significant differences and go back and ask questions. Look at how long each will take - are they roughly the samr?. Do they all include VAT? Do they all include exactly the same items - e.g. are they all taking away the old lawn etc? Are the companies different in nature - e.g. a mand and a van v. a national franchise? Get a list of references from each (where you can choose which to contact) and ask lots of questions. There isn't a straightforward answer - you need to do your homework.

i wouldn't fret over it too much. Just make sure your confident about the contractor and see a previous job or at least check a reference. Its not like one quote was 1000 and the others 2000.

1300-1500 is not a big variation and shows the kind of range i would expect from a few different quotes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back