Laying turf on sand where slabs used to be - will it grow?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've lifted some slabs up at the bottom of the garden where I'm planning on laying turf to extend the lawn.

Underneath the slabs is what I would describe as darkish sand. I dug down about half a foot and it seems to be the same stuff.

Will turf grow on this? I was thinking about getting a few bags of compost and putting that down first before the turf.

Any help much appreciated!

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Sand is low in nutrient and doesn't retain moisture well, so grass might struggle. Rather than compost, I'd get some topsoil and put it down first, try mixing it in with the sand to "dilute" it.

I would have thought it would dry out and die in summer, assuming it survived at all. I think you really need to dig out most of the sand, and put in top soil. Sand is useful, and you can spread it around beds etc, or thinly over the lawn, and it will be drawn down into the lawn/soil improving drainage. Assuming you don't have a very sandy soil already, in which case it might not be a good idea.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back