Re-turfing a lawn

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Got a quick question about re-turfing a lawn. We have an area in the garden where some bushes have beenn removed which obviously has no lawn. We are wanting to lawn this area, either by seed or turf, along with another couple of areas which could do with seed / re-turfing. We are thinking about the possibility of re-turfing the entire lawn again (only quite small - approx 9m x 5m). Question is, do I need to remove the existing grass or can I lay turf directly on top?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
it can be done but it is not the best way to do it. Best way is to rotovate the area and prepare it properly

Hi

sorry for hijacking this thread, but I followed Thermo's advice and I have fully rotavated my 100m2 lawn, However I now have a problem.

The soil in parts has become exceptionally springy.

I have trampled it down, so much so my knees are VERY sore but there are parts that will not stay put.

I am sorely tempted in hiring a very light (30kg) plate compactor, which is £20, and spending the day going over it to give me a firm base

Once I have done that my idea is then to lay 2-3inches more topsoil (I am raising the height of the lawn to meet my decking) and then turf on top of that.

The reason I appear to be in a bit of a rush is that the dog is walking mud in everytime he goes to the toilet and the wife is blaming me for it !!!

Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated

Additionally, I live in Manchester, how long have I got before the turf laying season closes for the winter?

Sponsored Links
You can lay turf all year around. Just make sure you don't lay it on frozen ground, this could damage the turf and it probably wont grow. Although you won't see much result if you lay the turf now, you can be sure that come winter it would be well seated for the cold weather.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back