Using a turf cutter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
my front lawn is bloody terrible. It's less of a lawn and more a collection of weeds and plants.
It's north facing- the shadow of the house stays on it til late afternoon

My drive slopes slightly down towards the house. Maybe 4" pavement to house. The lawn is a bit higher than the pavement, open plan garden
The lawn is 4-5 metres square

I am planning on hiring a turf cutting machine for a day, and rolling up the turf/growth to bag it in a bulk bag for someone with a hiab to get rid off.

Questions are:-
Can I use the turf lifter to lower the height of the lawn? I.e. If necessary do a second pass?
Water the lawn several times before turf cutting to stop it breaking ?

If using seed to replace the old plant/grass - dig over the exposed soil? Or get some top soil delivered? If I need fresh soil how deep? (Obviously that affects the soil removal)

Reason for hiring the cutter is mainly speed. To excavate a flat area with a spade would be a pain, and if I can use a mechanical method I can probably do it in a day.
I could just cut the turf and turn over whatever is underneath but suspect it's poor.

Then I would probably use seed for economy

Sponsored Links
Never used one so I don't know the best method, or if you could use it to 'shave' more soil out, but from what I have seen on the TV they do seem to clear the grass quite well but don't look easy to use.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back