Skimming off an old lawn and topsoil

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
my front lawn is about 4 x4 metres and slopes downwards towards the house with possibly 150-100mm drop from front to back. It's scruffy, weed infested and pretty awful. It's a little higher than the footpath and I want to drop it down a bit

If I replace it, I will need to either use a turf cutter, or weedkiller, then shift a reasonable amount of topsoil in order to get the base back down to around the correct level before either reseeding or turfing.

Question is- would a turf cutter do this? Including the topsoil? I would have to shove the spoil into grab bags or similar. I could do a fair bit with a spade, but maintaining a level might be hard. Even if I used the cutter as a sort of grader?
I could then use a spade to shift the soil

Lastly- are people likely to nick an open plan newly turfed open plan lawn? My road is reasonably quiet, not a crime hotspot, but you see stories of lawns being rolled up in the dead of night!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back