Digging up lawn

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

I am currently in the process of refurbishing the garden. The next part of the project is to dig up and relay a new lawn.

My original intention was to use a turf cutter and dump the old lawn in a skip, but i have since had a thought of just rotavating it before leveling it off.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the merits of either method. The laws is only about 7.2m x 5m

Sponsored Links
rotavating is the best method known for distributing weed seeds and root cuttings into the ground.

Haven't you got a compost heap for the old turf?

I actually meant that you shouldn't use a rotavator

Assuming you don't want your new lawn to be full of weed seeds and root cuttings.

Sponsored Links
I actually meant that you shouldn't use a rotavator

Assuming you don't want your new lawn to be full of weed seeds and root cuttings.

Well I did wonder..... :oops:

TO be fair the old lawn isn't too full of weeds etc...just bare and uneven. Maybe back to plan A and a turf cutter!

Are they as easy as they look...i.e. the turf can just be rolled up once you have gone over it with the cutter?

Well I hired a turf cutter today :confused:

What a horrible experience..not as easy as it looks on Groundforce is it :oops:

I think I ended up digging up about a quarter of the lawn :cry:

I suspect the ground was far too..I assume it is alot easier with nice wet moist grass?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back