How best to remove 3-4" topsoil to extend patio?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I want to take up about 20 sqm of lawn to part-extend a patio and add a gravel/shale area.

The lawn rises away from the pation to about 2-3" (50-75mm) above the level of the patio. (Although currently no problems with water draining from lawn onto patio - soil is free-draining loam over chalk.)

I intend to
  • * Take up the turf (20 sq m)
    * Remove about another 3-4" (75-100mm) of topsoil to allow for a layer of sharp sand & the new slabs (and a slight drop away from the patio for drainage) ~ about 10 sq m.
    * For the shale area (10 sq m) I plan to just remove the turf & enough soil to let the shale be level with the slabs. (I will put weed-fabric under the shale, but no sand layer)
What is the best way to remove the extra 3-4" of topsoil?

1. If I hire a turf-cutter and remove the turf, can I use it to go over the bare area and slice off the extra 3-4" of topsoil?
(Or does the cutter need to have a layer of turf bound by roots to cut effectively?)

2. Is it better to use a rotavator to break up the extra 3-4" of topsoil, and then rake/board/shovel(!) off the excess? (Then 'heel-in'/compact before laying slabs/shale)

3. Accept that manual labour is the best way as lifting just the extra 3-4" of topsoil with a spade means that the soil underneath is left in its existing stable state?

If the answer is none of these, "get a mini-digger", I'll leave it until later in the year when I get a mini-digger to do a pond!

Thanks

Checkfirst

Sponsored Links
20 sqm is not that much if its only topsoil youll do it in a day at the most with a shovel. Would be quicker with a rotovator on a low setting, but it will disturb soil underneath.

youll be better laying the slabs on a bed of mot type 1 stone chippings and a wet bed of mortar

and how ever you opt to do it dont forget the soil will aerate, so it will "expand" from 20sqm to ?

so in other words you will need more skips than you thought

Thanks Thermo

I suspected 'hard work' might well be the reply.
I had tried a couple of sq m with a spade last weekend, but the preceding dry month meant the lawn was a bit dried out for slicing/lifting.

The rain this week will presumably make the slicing easier, but the lifting just a little heavier.

Checkfirst

Sponsored Links
although a spade is good, often overlooked is the garden fork

breezer said:
... dont forget the soil will aerate, so it will "expand" from 20sqm to ?

so in other words you will need more skips than you thought

Thanks - another useful point to bear in mind.

I had been planning to spread the removed topsoil over a few other beds.
Your point about the bulking-up of the removed topsoil means that I'll need to use more beds than expected.
Luckily I have enough of beds (~200 sqm) around the rest of the garden, to do a sort of "Great Escape"-style spreading as a top-dressing (20sqm x 50-to-100mm = 200sqm x 5-to-10mm).

Probably need to get a conventional wheel-barrow rather than the Swedish flip-over sack-trolley/leaf-scoop thing that I've used for the last 15 years!

Cheers
Checkfirst

I did a patio at my house last week and the soil just fluffs up so much its ridiculous!! I ended up having 3 grab lorry loads taken away.

Quicker to hire a machine in too. You can get one for about £90 for the day and it saves theback breakig digging!

fluffs up, good technical term that, but thanks it does prove my point.

its like digging a hole the soil that came out will go in with some left over.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back