Laying Turf

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone, i'm doing my garden and i'm not a gardener at the moment it is paved with blocks, i want to take up the blocks and lay turf it has sand on a weed control membrane and appears to have more sand underneath, will i have to remove all the sand or can i just remove top lot and membrane, any help please.

Sponsored Links
Im not a turf laying expert but my dad layed some last week and he had some spare turf that he layed on some sand as he said the roots wont grow into sand. He layed is on soil and used fertiliser before he layed the turf and it is looking quite nice.

The sand will help improve the soil so can be rotovated in. However are you sure there is no hardcore under the lot? You would also need to make sure you know if there is any decent soil below it before rotovating it all. A few test holes may be needed.

it depends on the sand

i have layed turf on sand rootzone before and i'm about to lay turf on lv20 next week, as long as its watered it'll grown into the right type of sand

Sponsored Links
I took the turf that was layed on the sand round to my brothers and the roots had grown about 10mm and ds of wowms had loads of worms in it.

it depends on the sand mate

fibresand...Fibrelastic....lv20 etc are all turf rootzones

it wont grow on building sands

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back