Replacing external doorstep for cotswold cottage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Okay, so I say cotswold cottage - it is vaguely honey coloured, the chippings are mouldy and the ants have moved in :)

The old step is cracked and was also moved to replace a gas pipe and I've not been able to put back tidily or level. It was originally level with the inside of the house, the piece inside the door is separate and there was mortar joining the two:

There is a reclaimers nearby where I can either get a few slabs or possibly one big slab cut to fit the recess shape.

What should I mount it on to exactly align with the internal slab and have no movement? Old slab appears to be poured concrete with nothing underneath except hardcore, but I've no idea how that could have been made level.

If I go for e.g. three slabs, which'd be very much cheaper and easier to find, then keeping all three level would be harder?

Often I've seen dropped steps, so level with the interior is not needed. But here there is a recess and the interior piece is a very rough edge. I'd prefer the continuous level but if dropped I guess I'd have to straighten the edge with a grinder and still profile the slabs to match?

Sponsored Links
Remove the remains of the old step.
Remove all mortar bedding thats been left below it - clean out bedding down to the hardcore.
Make a one piece template in hardboard.
The template will go up to, or perhaps underneath, the metal threshold bar.
The new step will slope away from the house
Show the template and above pic to the reclaimer/stone cutter.
Spread 3:1 mix mortar & lay the step in it - lightly tap it down to bed. Keep using your level for falls.

Thanks. For the 3:1 - is that sharp sand? I guess it will need to be thick consistency to hold the weight of the step whilst it sets, but otherwise doesn't need any kind of shuttering (depending on the depth of the step, it'll need to be raised a few inches from ground level)

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back