Replacing external wooden door (price)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Seeking quotes from local joiners for the following (just for info I'm in Scotland):

Replace External Wooden Door
Remove existing door.
Supply & fit middle range wooden door with M&T joints.
Supply & fit 5 lever mortice sashlock BS3621.
Supply & fit middle range handles, threshold and drip protector.
Apply 1 x coat of woodstain (I'll then complete the job.)
Remove all debris from site.

I try to be realistic about quotes received and consider exactly what I'm paying for (including peripheral things the tradesperson has to cover e.g. their vehicle, tools, insurance etc.)

However I was slightly surprised when a quote came back yesterday at £2k. To me this seems high, almost significantly so. Waiting on another couple of quotes so will be interesting to compare.

For info, the existing door has been damaged due to an incident. The tradesperson who quoted assumed I'd be putting the job through my insurance (it's a BTL) so I'm wondering if that's why they've quoted on the high side.

What are your thoughts on the £2k?

Sponsored Links
I've found that some trades would rather over quote than not quote at all, it's their way of saying we don't want the job, but maybe the occasional idiot does pay what they ask.

blup

I've found that some trades would rather over quote than not quote at all, it's their way of saying we don't want the job, but maybe the occasional idiot does pay what they ask.

blup
Yeah I do wonder if it's either that and/or the fact they assumed it would be an insurance job.

No need to tell them why you are replacing it, just that you want to replace an outside door in such and such a style to these opening measurements and to include such and such style furniture. If they ask if it is an insurance job tell them no you are paying and willing to pay x% as a firm deposit on valid proof of their full quotation and verification of their business details. Fly-by-nights and cowboys probably won't be interested if they think you are going to check up on them. Genuine chippies will possibly give you a ball park figure followed by a firm quote on their own measurements etc.

Sponsored Links
New casing or not?
Hand made door or mass produced?
Hardwood or Softwood?

Chippy with his own W/shop about a day to make and a week later a day to fit.

Typical Labour cost for a singleton £250 - 350 per day. Materials extra.

New casing or not?
Hand made door or mass produced?
Hardwood or Softwood?

Chippy with his own W/shop about a day to make and a week later a day to fit.

Typical Labour cost for a singleton £250 - 350 per day. Materials extra.
New casing, I don't think so. The door was forced open so there might be casing damage.
Mass produced door.
Hardwood.

Used to know a carpenter friend who fitted one of those York Mahogany style doors for me in 4 hours. Hinges, locks and letter box, (I said I would fit the bulls eye glass), and had no problems in the 10 years I stayed there after it was fitted.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back