Replacing felt roof with bitumen corrugated sheets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had someone replace the felt on my shed roof only two years ago and it couldn't have been done properly as it is now leaking at the joins very badly and the wood on the roof under the felt is soaked. I am thinking of redoing the roof with bitumen corrugated sheets so they may last longer than felt. I am going to do it myself but has anyone used this before and any tips please? The shed is about 8 x 10, stand alone, do I need to remove the felt beforehand or can I just put the corrugated sheets over the felt to save some work/time? Thank you for any assistance anyone can give.

Sponsored Links
shed felt is rubbish and will not last if you use the next grade up you should get ten years out of it

Did he overlap the felt correctly ie the joints are horizontal and the bottom edge of one sheet over laps the top edge of the adjoining sheet (if not rain water will run between the two sheets and into the shed) - I have seen it done incorrectly!!

Has the shed roof been walked on - this can cause damage to the felt?

As mentioned, try to use a quality felt. Done properly and it should last for years.

Sponsored Links
Thank you both for your replies. No, the roof has not been walked on but I actually purchased the felt and got the better grade type thinking it would last longer. Yesterday I got the ladders out and having a quick look, it seems that the joins although overlapping, don't have any adhesive on them and yet I gave the person who did the work the full can of adhesive I had purchased. Yes, I know, well and truly taken in. I thought if I used the bitumen corrugated sheets it would maybe be easier to fit and not need replacing for years and years and as I now don't trust anyone else to do the work, would be easier for me to do that than to try to lift new felt onto the roof.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back