Replacing front disk pads - Ford Fiesta

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've a 1993 1.1 Fiesta and want to replace the front disk pads.
This just seems to be a "take off the calipers; take out the old pads; replace with new pads" type job.

Can anyone advise please:
- Is it really a simple job ?
- Any kit needed other than new pads ?
- Any special tools needed ?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
id add copper grease to the list... smeer it on the backs of the pads to stop em squeeling and any pins etc the pads slide along... anywhere away from the brakeing surface stops it all siezeing up etc.... im no expert on car brakes but its not usualy needed to take the claiper off, the pads usualy are held on pins and pull out away from the disk with pliers.

Hi first take off wheel, then you will need a 7mm allen key to undo the caliper slide bolts, take caliper off replace old pads with new ones and refit in reverse order. also do as bazzas said put some copper grease all over the back of the pads and also on the slide bolts,pump brake pedal afew times job done, hope this helps, jim.
p.s it is a simple job.

the slide pins maybe siezed (i understand they usualy are) tap gently with a drift and hammer maybe some wet and dry to clean them up.

Sponsored Links
It seems that the sidecar_jon is living in the dark ages, cars like Ford, Vauxhall etc have used calipers with guide pins that have to be removed before the the caliper can be removed from the mounting bracket to replace the pads, just as skippster76 mentioned. Easy job

just remember to press the brake until it works again when your done. last thing you want is no brakes at the end of the street

nope i am currently living with some callipers made by Comex (Italian).. they have slide pins that you bash out and have cheep steel sleeves that corrode and stop the calliper sliding properly. The pads pull out from the back of the calliper leaving it attached to the assembly/axle thingy.

Some motor factors do a special 7mm caliper allen key,try partco or brown brothers if theres one near you.

hello sidecar_jon, their may be some dodgy old cars with calipers that have pads retained by pins but certainly not on a Fiesta.
regards Johnwr

johnwr said:
hello sidecar_jon, their may be some dodgy old cars with calipers that have pads retained by pins but certainly not on a Fiesta.
regards Johnwr

well it is three years old i sopose lol... but its far from a "normal" car!

Thanks for all your replies - I've now successfully renewed the Fiesta's front brake pads. It was, as you all said a quite straight-forward job. But out of all my allen keys I didn't have a 7mm one !! Had to go on the rounds to find one and needless-to-say no one sold just one (!). The best bargain was a set of allen keys (both imperial and metric) from Focus at £7.99. So I'm all shipshape again ('til the next time).
PS Yes I did test the brakes along our drive before taking the beast on the road.

Sponsored Links
Back