Replacing glazing and handle in upvc door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Moved into a house with THE ugliest upvc front door. I'd like to replace it, but it seems to cost around £500 to have a new one fitted from what I can see (please correct me if I'm wrong!).

It's mainly the glazing that's horrible, it's frosted with this big red flower on it and lead strips. The glass is a funny shape, sort of oblong but irregular at both ends. Would it be possible to get someone to replace the glass in this door? Are there 'standard' glass shapes that are readily available? And would replacing this and the gold coloured handle cost too much to bother?

Actually, replacing it with a solid panel instead of glass would be a huge improvement, if that's possible?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Is the glass panel glazed into the door with glazing beads around it or is it "sandwiched" between the door panel itself? If it is part of the door panel you will need to buy a whole new door panel which will set you back a couple of hundred squid. Door handles are easy enough to remove and replace. Why dont you try a local glazier/window manufacturer to see what they've got?
£500 isn't that bad to be honest for a complete new door (if that includes fitting?) but personally if you take this route I'd scrap the UPVC door altogether and go for a solid hardwood door instead. They look better and are more secure. ;)

Thanks glassman

I'd love to replace it with a hardwood door. The reason I think £500 is a lot is because I don't even like upvc! I'd be paying £500 to replace a horrible door with an OK one, hence the refurbishment idea.

However, there's a upvc frame as well so I presumed that it would cost a lot of money to take off the door AND frame and fit a new hardwood door and frame? I don't know what sort of cost would be involved there.

I'll check whether the glass has beading around it or if it appears to be sandwiched in. And I could always call some people in for a quote

PS do hardwood doors look OK when all the windows are upvc?

Dont get me wrong. Personally, I think UPVC is great for windows but I have never liked the look and quality of UPVC doors and I think a lot of other people on here would probably agree.
Why wouldn't a hardwood door look good with UPVC windows? You could always paint it.

Sponsored Links
As I said, I would prefer a hardwood door.

How much would I be looking at to replace both the door and the door frame with hardwood versions? Much more than £500?

Ta

please note forum rule 9

evansg81 said:
As I said, I would prefer a hardwood door.

How much would I be looking at to replace both the door and the door frame with hardwood versions? Much more than £500?

Ta

For a decent quality solid hardwood door, fitted properly with all the best locks available you are looking at perhaps a grand (or more) including the fitting.
Lots of money but worth every penny if you think about what you're getting for it ;)

Thats an expensive door.

Not sure about the labour to remove the UPVC and fit the frame, but for a decent hardwood door I'd have said around £2-300ish. A BS rated sashlock and deadlock (keyed alike) should cost no more than £80.

I've just had a couple of exterior doors replaced on a property, and the guy charged me £80 per door to hang and fit locks/furniture.

Why wouldn't a hardwood door look good with UPVC windows? You could always paint it.

We have UPVC windows with a hardwood door and they look great :). Never really crossed my mind whether they are visually compatible with each other or not.

UPVC are really good windows to have around the home as they require less cleaning and you never have to paint them! The only stupid thing is that you have to replace the whole pain of glass if they break (please correct me if I'm wrong though) as they are not individual pains which can be a right pane :p.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back