Replacing kitchen taps: backnuts glued in place.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,

I'd appreciate any thoughts on the easiest way to tackle this. The backnuts on my (current) kitchen taps are plastic, the type that can only be screwed by hand. Some helpful soul decided to glue them into place for me, and they are rock solid. The rear of the sink is pretty difficult to get at. No idea what kind of glue it is, but it's a dirty yellow colour.

So far I've tried (a) swearing, (b) cursing, and (c), the ultimate man solution, hitting the tap with a hammer in the hope this would crack the glue. No joy.

If I hacksaw the top of the tap off, will I end up with a stump that can be hammered directly downwards? Or will I just end up with an angry wife?

I'll post pics if that would help...!

Thanks,
Calum

Sponsored Links
A blowlamp will melt the glue and backnuts too if you can gain access. Wear eye protection and gloves if you attempt this. :D

Thanks, Bahco. I wondered if that might be the answer. I'm loth to try it as it's a confined space and lots of flammable material around and if anyone's capable of burning a kitchen down, it's me! Think I might leave it till after the weekend so if I do cause chaos I'll have half a chance of getting hold of a professional...

Try and get hold of an oscilating tool like a Fein,that will cut the backnuts off without any damage to sink.

Sponsored Links
Persistence with a sharp knife could cut through the nut and then you can wedge a slotted screwdriver in, give it a twist and the nut should depart. All well and good if you can get access.

If the backnut is plastic, you can melt it with the end of a long, fat screwdriver that has been held in tha gas hob flame for 20 seconds...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back