Replacing Laminate planks with Vinyl planks.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to replace laminate planks laid on a chipboard bedroom floor with vinyl planks. Should I put a ply / hardboard covering first as the laminate creaks and crackles, I assume the movement has broken the locking on the laminate planks.

Sponsored Links
You should put down an underlay ,with laminate and also with click vinyl. If the chipboard is flat and in good condition you shouldn't need to cover with ply ,but if in doubt do so.

The underlay for vinyl click is 1-2mm. Don’t use Lamainte underlay. You don’t want any movement on the joints at all.
Most floorboards will need at least 6mm ply to take a vinyl click.

Thanks for your replies. Will put ply underneath and the correct underlay for vinyl planks.

Sponsored Links
Opting for 9mm ply on top of chipboard flooring, 6mm seemed to flimsy. Should I leave a slight gap between the ply 8x4's before I screw them down.

We use 6mm SP101 on chipboard and 9mm over floorboards
Don’t leave any gaps no. I tend to leave 3mm around perimeter
Are you putting down dryback ( glued down ones ) or click LVT

No.
You need to ring nail or screw the ply every 6 inch and 4 inch in the edges

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back