Replacing Macdee Duo Compact Parts

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
I wil try and use the correct terminology here but my plumbing knowledge is very limited so correct me if I'm wrong!

I have a Macdee Duo Compact cistern (installed 2008) which has, for a little while now, had a leaky syphon. It leaks water into the top of the oblong float box and it seems this is stopping it rising high enough.
So the water continues to come into the cistern, whilst making a loud groan, and trickles into the overflow.
There might also be something wrong with the dual flush as sometimes the button doesn't pop out after flushing, so water continuously pours into the bowl.

I am willing to try replacing both the syphon and flush valve myself but I have a couple of queries.
There is a page of Macdee parts on toiletspares.co.uk, I can see a syphon (compact inlet valve ts189) which looks almost the same except for the grey pipe, the white nuts on it look different so will it fit a slightly older cistern?
I also can't see any similar dual flush valves online but would one of the other Macdee ones (eg Kayla or a single flush one - not too bothered about dual flush) fit ok?

Is it also easy enough to fit these parts? It is quite awkward to get into the cistern (concealed, small front access only) but I have taken the syphon out and it just looks like things screw in easily.

I'm hoping Macdee parts are quite generic or is there another firm that makes generic parts made for many cisterns?

Any advice appreciated, many thanks in advance.
I also have some cistern photos if this helps.

Neil.

Sponsored Links
Inlet valve or float valve, not syphon.

The inlet valve is either contaminated with debris and needs a clean, or its washer needs replacing.

The current valve is the Wirquin Jollyfill (black), The previous valve was the MacDee Kayla (white).

The TS189 valve is side inlet. Is your cistern side or bottom inlet.

The inlet valve was quite dirty, I removed, cleaned and reinstalled it but no joy.
My cistern is side inlet and the ts189 part looks almost the same.
So I need to look for a wirquin jollyfill flush valve?

Thanks,
Neil

You could try a new washer, but you'd need to know the exact valve. If it's white like the one you posted a link to it will almost certainly be a Kayla.

derwent-macdee-kayla-side-inlet-valve-2035-p.jpg

If you decide on a new valve get a Fluidmaster inlet valve.

Sponsored Links
As I said, if you're replacing the valve, forget the rest, fit the best - Fluidmaster.

Fluidmaster-Float-Valve-Side-Entry_medium.jpg

Had a look at the fluidmaster valves like you suggested - I noticed the one in your picture has a much shorter horizontal pipe (in my cistern the inlet valve is on the far side to the water pipe).
Will this be a problem, do I fit the valve to the longer pipe I have or can I install the valve on the other side of the cistern (nearer the water inlet pipe).

Also I assume that these fluidmaster valves will fit my existing pipe?

Thanks again,
Neil

in my cistern the inlet valve is on the far side to the water pipe.
:?: :?: :?:
Not if it's side inlet it's not.
macdee-pneu-compact-concealed-duct-wc-cistern-06095691-1399-p[ekm]245x231[ekm].jpg

Remove the bits of the valve you have left attached to the cistern. The pipe through the cistern will be 1/2" (probably) or 3/8" (possibly).
Fluidmaster do both.

Get the right size, it'll fit.

Might be the way mine was installed, but I think I have figured it out.
Looks like my water inlet pipe has been extended into the cistern, I can't get another pic on but the water inlet pipe comes into my cistern from the left, over the flush valve and then there is the inlet valve on the far (right hand) side of the cistern.
Don't know why it is like that, I am guessing that isn't the norm?

I can see the connector that would normally go through the hole in the side of the cistern so I will remove it there and fit a new fluidmaster valve (the one you showed me is in B&Q).

Thanks for your help Charnwood, I will post a quick update once done if I haven't flooded the bathroom..

Managed to upload a pic of my cistern.
The inlet pipe comes from the right (ignore my previous comment, don't know my left from my right).
You can see it coming over the flush valve, and the bit hanging on the left looks to be part of the inlet valve.
The cleaner whiter part looks to be where the new valve needs attaching to. There is a bracket attached to the cistern which seems to hold the horizontal pipe on the inlet valve.

Like I say, don't know why it's like this.. also do you know what the knob on top of the extension pipe would be? A shut off valve perhaps?

Great, that's the nut I was looking at too so I will fit it there.
Also interesting to know about the isolation valve but I will use the mains stopcock just in case.

Thanks again for your help.

I need a washer for the same valve,i.e. MacDee ts189 side entry inlet valve. I did a search and found the valve on toiletspares.co.uk. Their "Steve" informs me that they sell the whole valve at 18 pounds but can not get the washer for it! Does anyone know a company where I could get this washer please?

It could be one of two, I think.
Strip it out, take a pic, then replace it, taking care as it might be in a fragile state.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back