Replacing macerators for drains

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, A few years ago, I converted a house to two flats (tyneside flat configuration). The builder at the time advised that we needed macerators/saniflow to be installed into the bathrooms as the fall under the floor of the ground floor flat wasn't enough.

Since then these units have been very expensive and inconvenient to maintain. So this brings me to the question is it possible to install drains and get rid of the macerator pumps?

The toilets are above each other and situated aproximately 7 meters from the soil pipe on the external wall. So the question is, can I run a waste pipe under the floor of the ground floor flat and if so how deep will this need to be? Plus are there any other considerations?

Thanks....

Sponsored Links
On the upstairs flat it would depend if you can get the fall on the pipe, thats 175mm on a 7 meter run, on the downstairs flat again it would depend on what the floor is made of, if both the toilets are close to an external wall it might be simpler to run a new soil stack and extend the drains.

Hi Picasso, thanks for the response

Its a terrace property and the toilet is on the neighboring wall and in the middle pf the flat (between front and back external walls).

My thinking was along the lines of a pipe going from upstairs flat,straight down to ground floor flat and from this point the waste from both flats would go under floor to drains at the back of the property (7 meters). I am sure there is enough space under the floor for 175mm of drop.

Does that solution sound like it would work?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Yea that sounds like a solution, although it would be worth checking how deep the drains are at the back of your property and working back to see how high the soil pipe ends up at the toilet.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back